Keep Fit - Stay Healthy - Be Happy
July 01, 2009
If you are having trouble viewing this email, go to the ONLINE VERSION.
A warm welcome to all our new subscribers!
Shock... Horror... I Ate Ice-Cream
Motivate your loved ones
Summer has well and truly hit London. Amidst our first true heatwave this year, emotions seem to escalate as well as the temperature. Whether it be love, anger, sadness or happiness, the emotion is all the more intense.
This week I was "caught" eating an ice cream. Yes, imagine the shock when someone who's meant to be setting a good example, is seen eating the same crap everyone else is eating. Well, not quite.
You see <>, this is something my parents, aunts and uncles just don't seem to understand (and if you don't too then keep reading!).
All of the most popular "diets" out there over-complicate the issue by saying certain foods are "good" and others are "bad". In my opinion that's just downright WRONG.
Because it's such a massive generalisation that just isn't specific to your situation and your needs. The other problem is that you might actually love the so-called "bad" foods and won't want to give them up completely.
This is why all my nutrition advice centers around the 90% rule. Eat a balance of: protein (lean cuts of chicken, fish, eggs); complex carbohydrates (wholegrain bread, pasta and rice); fruit; vegetables; unsalted nuts (walnuts, almonds) and low-fat dairy. If those kinds of foods take up 90% of what you eat, then the other 10% can be absolutely WHATEVER you like.
That is how I can eat ice-cream and still maintain a lean body. And if you understand this, the power is firmly in your hands. You can eat well and eat the food you love, AND burn fat at the same time. Powerful stuff, eh?
=> Click here to motivate your loved ones.
The wrong way to go about this, as highlighted by my dear Mother, is to swap the 90% and 10%. For example, if she had a food diary, this is what some of it would look like for last week:
- Saturday: Lunch - Fish and chips take away, Dinner - Kebab take away
- Sunday: Lunch dessert - Kheer (indian rice pudding sweet dish), Dinner dessert - ice-cream
- Tuesday: Dinner - Kebab take away
- Thursday: Lunch and dinner - Party food consisting of pizza, cakes, chocolates and some indian dishes.
Already that's 4 out of 7 days where she's eaten a whole load of food high in saturated fats and sugar. Even if the rest of her nutrition was great, she'd still be behind. Unfortunately, the rest of her diet consists of oily indian dishes with white rice or white bread/pitta. Oh and I've seen her sneaking in some Pepsi, so that's more empty calories added.
You can be guaranteed that everytime she decides to eat those things, she has an excuse to back it up. It's someone's birthday or anniversary, it's a "one off" special occasion etc. All they are, are excuses. I was exposed to the very same situations last week, and I managed to stick to the 90% rule and still burn fat.
I love my Mother dearly, and this is where my emotions get intense. I know she is severely obese and her health situation isn't great. That is what has driven me to learn about nutrition and fitness so I can help her and others like her, and also to make sure I don't end up with the same problems as her.
It's tough getting family members to listen and understand. But we don't give up just because it's tough. If anything, this challenge should drive us on, and make us ever more determined.
Let's help each other and our families to spread the 90% rule, and motivate each other to exercise and eat right.
=> Motivational messages work. Click here to create motivational messages for your loved ones (totally FREE)
I hope you've enjoyed learning about the 90% rule (my family sure are a great example of how NOT to do things!). Watch your email for more stories to come and let your friends and family know too.
Your Friend and Motivator,
P.S. Motivate a loved one, go NOW.
Thoughts and Questions
As always, if you have any questions you'd like to ask me, simply reply to this email and I'll respond as soon as physically possible.
If you've been sent here by a friend and enjoy this issue, you can sign up for future issues of
Fitness Wonderland, click here
- you'll also receive a FREE fat loss report.
Keep Fit - Stay Healthy - Be Happy
=> Share Your Fitness Photos and Tips
Read about me and my fitness journey
=> My Fitness Journey
Missed the 4 free gifts?
=> Free Gifts (they're at the end of "Asad's Thoughts")
Join our Facebook group
=> Join The Community
Are you on Twitter? (it's free too!)
=> Join The Get Fit Tweeps
Video Blog Login:
=> Turbulence Training Transformation Video Blog
=> Password: gKpd6748 (case sensitive)
New! Comments Have your say about what you just read! Leave a comment in the box below.
12 Weeks To a New You
Click Here For Your FREE Online
Personal Trainer Fitness Analysis